Thursday, May 7, 2009

Freshman Fifteen: Consider Yourself Jinxed

Five weeks from today is my last day of exams for this quarter, my last at Ohio State. Five weeks until I get to come home for good. Five weeks until my freshman year of college ends.

Preparing for college, colleges and their students sent countless letters and e-mails to me and all other high school seniors with pieces of advice for enhancing the college experience. One of the most-talked-about topics was the ominous Freshman Fifteen: the inevitable weight-gain that every college student encounters during their first year away from home due to the ease with which one finds fatty or sugary foods.

Last summer, when someone would give a short speech about avoiding the freshman fifteen, I thought to myself, "O God, please, please let me gain the freshman fifteen. You know what? Forget the freshman fifteen; let me gain the freshman forty-five!"

With five weeks left in my freshman year, I have successfully avoided the freshman fifteen. But the thing is, I would like to gain the weight. So with time running out, my only option is to jinx my weight. Unfortunately, I doubt that Sports Illustrated is going to put a picture of me shirtless on a scale on their cover, so I must take matters into my own hands.

"I don't have to worry about gaining the freshman fifteen anymore!" Don't anybody knock on wood. There it is, I jinxed it. By the time I wake up on the morning of June 12, I should be fifteen pounds heavier. That's all there is to it. This better work though, nothing else seems to.

This is a short post today. There isn't a lot happening right now. Just counting down the days until my next trip home (tomorrow). I am currently fighting through back pain ... again. It's the same type of soreness that I have grown intimately familiar with over the course of the past few months. It's not quite as sharp as it usually is though; it is just really sore and uncomfortable. It will probably get worse for this weekend, that would be just my luck. The fam and I have tickets to the Tribe game tomorrow night. Although it might just be a trip for Pa and I, since Shellster has a softball game scheduled against archrival Archbishop Hoban. On Saturday, Subak, another kid, and I are going to the new Star Trek movie and then heading up to the Tribe game. That's right, two Tribe games in two nights. Then Sunday, of course, is Mother's Day, which I will be spending with my mother.

So, I suppose I will talk with all of you later. Adios muchachos. -IW

No comments:

Post a Comment