Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Distraction from a Full Bladder

So here's what's going on right now. I am sitting in my chair, laptop on, watching the end of the Spurs v. Mavericks game, waiting for Letterman to start. Two girls are in the room ... on Roommate's laptop ... going through his music library song by song for no apparent reason. Roommate is somewhere else doing God only knows what. When a song comes on that the girls "love because it's the greatest song eva," they begin to sing along with the lyrics. This would normally only be mildly annoying, but this is not normally. These are the two trashiest girls I have ever had the misfortune of encountering. Between the two, they have two nose rings, two belly-button rings, one tattoo, and one eyebrow ring. The songs they are singing along to are not the songs you would expect. They are not singing the soundtrack to Titanic or some other film with ballads long-ago memorized by the females of my generation. I would be mortified if someone I know and love sang along to these songs (i.e. Michelle ... so don't do it Shellster). I'm embarrassed for these girls, and all I really know about them stems from their nickname, which I will not say on the blog. But it's the B4-Blanks. Blanks rhymes with 4. B4 signifies that they live on the fourth floor of Bradley, and Blanks signifies ... well, I'm sure you can tell what that signifies. They have their nickname proudly postered on the door to their room. Blanks ...

And so I'm stuck in here. I really have to pee. But I can't pee, can I? That would require leaving the room to walk down the hall, leaving these Blanks alone in my room to do whatever they wish. I suppose I will have to hold it for what will hopefully prove to be a short time span. I hope I can relieve said pressure before Jimmy Fallon comes on ... in 45 minutes. We will see.

I'm going to suggest a few things for all of you Wondeaders out there. The first is to read Rick Reilly's article this week. Go to http://www.espn.com/ and scroll down a bit until you see "The Life of Reilly" link in the middle of the page. It tells of how he got tickets to something like 14 sporting events for just $100 by going to various discount ticket websites such as StubHub and such. I may be visiting a few of these sights this summer for entertainment purposes (Aerosmith? Terrace Club Passes?).

My second and final suggestion has to do with another aspect of the entertainment industry and another way to avoid stimulating the economy (I say let other people do it while I sit on my savings accrued over a year of bagging groceries). The website is movie6.net and it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Nay, the greatest thing since unsliced bread. That's right. It has links to view movies for free. Not just old movies either. Movies that are currently in theaters. Yea. Over the past weekend alone, I watched Slumdog Millionaire, Gran Torino, Office Space, and Sin City. The first two are still in theaters. The second two are classics that I had yet to see. Their list of available movies is extremely extensive and some of the links are through yahoo! and such (so it isn't illegal). The site also has various television series available for your viewing pleasure. I plan on visiting this weekend when Watchmen comes out to see if it is available. (I was just made aware of this site so I don't yet know how the time frame works with newly released movies).

So I watched Slumdog Millionaire (winner of the Best Picture award, and all the others too; it was decent) and Gran Torino (starring Clint Eastwood; it was AWESOME!) for free this weekend. If I hadn't known about this site and went to see these movies in theaters on Friday and Saturday nights, just getting in would have cost $18. Plus the cost of a drink and perhaps a small popcorn (probably a total of 7 or 8 dollars). So this site saved me at least $25. Plus the cost of renting the other two movies ($2.50 each at best). So for one weekend it saved me $30.

Definitely check it out. -IW

Blanks still here; bladder still full ... Awesome.

2 comments:

  1. You made me smile today...Hope the bladder held out...It amazes me how the Lombardi quote is appropriate to your blog.
    Love ya Kid,
    me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I think I've figured out the whole reason you're not loving OSU. Um, your roommate sucks (pardon the language). Really. I would want to move out too!! Essentially, you're NORMAL and he's a LOSER - I know, I judge, this kid could cure cancer some day. Doubtful, but it could happen.

    Maybe your new project should be to find either A) a new, normal, less drunk, less "B4-4s" loving, friendly roommie. B) Find a way to get your own single dorm room. Medical excuse?? Post traumatic Roommate Stress Disorder? C) Find a finacially feasible apartment for just yourself...and re-create your mom's home cookin' D) Find other normal people and invite them to your room to take up space and sing songs for hours on end.

    Sometimes you have to fight Annoying people by being even MORE Annoying :-) And really, you've GOT to be smarter than this idiot, I'm sure you could come up with something stealthy!

    ReplyDelete