Monday, March 2, 2009

S.W.E.A.T.S., O.R.A.N.G.E. S.O.D.A., & Pulling the Plug

In the last two weeks I have started doing something that I have not done since 6th-ish grade: I have worn sweats to class. Let me tell you, it is glorious! And I believe this leads me to another acronym (my apologies for previously referring to these as anagrams): So Wearable, Even All the Time, Son! Indeed, all the time.

I finally had another orange soda today: diet Sunkist. It cost me $1.49, but it was just as glorious as wearing sweats to class. My Kelesque thirst has for now been quenched. For clarity, Kelesque refers to the 1990s Nickelodeon show: Kenan and Kel. Kel (played by Kel Mitchell) had an undying love for orange flavored carbonated beverages. And this leads me to my second acronym of the day: Only Really A Nectar of Glorious Ecstasy providing Satisfaction Opposite that of Dying Alone. I think that's my best one so far.

So now down to brass tax. Since I was a young'n, I've watched the scarlet and gray play football every Saturday in the fall. I picked the Buckeyes to win the first NCAA March Madness pool I ever entered. I bought an Ohio State hat on the way to my cousin P.J.'s wedding so that I could wear it after the ceremony, while watching the Ohio State v. Texas football game that night at the reception. I have an Eddie George Bobble head of him in a Buckeye uniform standing over the Horse Shoe. In my life-predicting project thing in seventh grade, I predicted a degree from The Ohio State University. When I buy my first family pooch, I've recently decided to get a mostly white pup so that I can call him Whitey Hayes (maybe, haha). I have always dreamt of graduating from Ohio State, and it seemed that that dream would become a reality.

Unfortunately though, my first year of college hasn't exactly gone according to plan, and my dream of a scarlet and gray graduation gown has been on life-support the last few months. This past week, after learning that I was eliminated from RA eligibility, I believe I have made the decision to pull the plug on my dream and let it drift away as peacefully as possible.

I love Ohio State. The campus is more beautiful than I could ever have hoped for. I couldn't be more excited for the new student union to open next year. And the extensive list of alumni make it exactly what someone needs in an economy that makes finding a job difficult. But there are too many things that outweigh these positives. I don't have any real friends or a social life of any kind. I sit in my dorm room and watch TV seven nights a week, no joke. I try to make friends and make plans, but their favorite things to do are go get drunk (which I can't do), go get pizza (which I can't do), and go lift weights, swim, and take a dip in the hot tubs (which I won't do due to ugly scars and a weight equal to that of most seventh graders). Plus, when every other week I am laid out with a kidney stone (I passed number 12 yesterday and today) and every other day I have an awful stomachache from the inadequate campus dining choices, how am I supposed to have any sort of social life? How are people supposed to like me when I am in pain every single day that they can't comprehend (a la Gregory House)?

I am going to take a page out of every MLB free agent ever and say: I have to do what is best for me and my family. Unfortunately, my decision involves moving in with my parents and paying thousands of dollars for an education at a different university and not playing baseball everyday for a seven-figure salary, which believe me would be my first choice if it were available.

I have not told anyone here of my decision yet and probably won't for a few weeks, but I have told many of my friends who attend either Akron U or Kent State (my two choices), and each of them has told me how excited they are that I will be back home and hope that I choose their respective schools. A kid I worked with at Acme (A Critical Mind Eraser - Boom, number 3) told me he doesn't know how I've made it this long. He commutes to Akron, eats lunch there four or five times a week, and says he is about to lose his mind thinking of eating there again. He even mentioned how he has a full diet, unlike me. Can you imagine how refreshing it was for someone to say something empathetic without any probing or family relations? I would have shaken his hand and gave him a strong shoulder pat had I not been talking to him on Facebook.

I don't know yet where I will end up, but I am almost certain I won't be returning to northern Columbus next fall as a student. As difficult as it is to give up on a lifelong dream, I know it is what I have to do. When I thought about having to come back for another year, I felt the weight of the world on my shoulders, but when I think about living with my parents, sister, and pup and eating real food every night again and having a car again and perhaps a social life again, I couldn't be lighter.

That is all for now, Wondeaders. With a pep in my step, I am off to grab some mediocre General Tso's Chicken and rice from Market Place for the first time in two whole nights...

Sincerely yours,

The Intestineless Wonder, current Buckeye, future Zip/Golden Flash

14 comments:

  1. what are you nuts!!!! i am writing this for the third time to finally get my message to you. and by the way sorry about the food reference. However, it appears you may be rushing your decision somewhat and not taking into account all the factors necessary to make an educated decision. It is apparant to me the answer to your prayers is right in front of you and you are missing it. It is so simple i would think a scholar like you would have already recognized the solution and it is 4 simple letters
    BGSU!!!!!
    I thought you would be happy i sent you this note. I am sorry you are having a difficult time however it just occurred to me that i could come down there and fit right in with your social agenda since i gave up beer for Lent. i am on my 6th day and have found out i have no friends either so i can commensurate. if you need to talk sometime give me a call at your convenience. if i can shed some light to help you under the circumstances i am more than willing to try. good luck from a fellow Falcon.

    uncle Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS

    what only 12 kidney stones call me when you pass a dozen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey cuz.. soo sorry to hear about your sucky college experience. I know that college life can be hard when you can't exactly go out and drink every night and your running for the bathroom after eating something as small as a mint or skipping class because you decided to take a bite of that cookie that looked soooo good just becasue your body can't handle it. I know that you have it like 200 million times worse then I do but I do know how it feels when people don't exactly understand your situation or call you out on not being able to party, or even not being able to finish your dinner. It bugs me when people think Im faking it when I want skip class. Soo that much of your situation I understand and if you want to move home just take your time in making that decision because you wont want to regret the next three years of your life. But on the other hand if it is something you need and want to do then just take that step. Don't have regrets. If your having problems making friends you should look into doing something on campus. Ive gotten involved in greek life, as well as different types of volunteer work. It really does help consume your time when everyone else is out doing what they do. You know you can still go to parties as long as you dont drink, sometimes I volunteer to be the DD or just watch people drink or even hold one beer the whole night. But obviously I have more flexibility when it comes to drinking so I don't know how hard that would be for you. I don't know if you would go for it but if you were having problems with making friends who would just sit in with you everyday and watch movies or do intestine safe things you could always consider bowling green. honestly I wouldnt mind having someone to just hang out with or to introduce to my friends. I am a very social person and I could help you get involved in organizations and maybe just find some people who would like to just stay in and hang out. I live in my sorority house so when I dont want to go out theres always people here who will just sit with me, same with kellys room there are always people over there lol and its kinda fun to watch drunk people go in and out. You dont have to consider it but it was just a thought because kell and I could help you make friends without having to do all the things you cant. But before you decide to leave your school of choice just think about it and have no regrets just do what you gotta do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol i just read my dads comment i did know he would say BGSU!!! lol thats not my doing haha hes just (crazy)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just remember one thing John (sound familiar?)Once a Buckeye, always a Buckeye...except, based on your birthplace you are really a Volunteer and I'm a Hoosier...we can still bleed scarlett and grey.
    Becoming a Zip certainly isn't bad. Mom and I are Zips and we turned out alright...well, Mom did...Kent State?
    You deserve to be happy kiddo. As long as you are happy, I'm happy!
    Just so you know, Mom wants to charge you rent...I hope you don't have to pay as much as I do.
    Love ya son!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just to clarify...I did not ever say I would charge you rent...now your dad is in trouble...
    Anyway, I know this was a difficult decision...but, give yourself some credit...leaving home to go away to school 10 months after major surgery and a total change of life is very brave and quite amazing...I would still be bed ridden...Also, having the insight to make yet another change and do what I think will make you happy is such a great sign of maturity and smarts...It is probably my fault for giving you such a great home life anything different is just not going to cut it.HA...Besides, I think Zippy is much cuter than Brutus...
    Dad, Michelle, and I (and Dino)couldn't be happier to have you back home...However,I think Dad is just thinking about another person to shovel the driveway(that makes up for the rent comment)...remember, it doesn't have to be forever, give yourself some time...and lots of healthy home cooking...
    The Lombardi quote for today is very appropriate...
    Love you,
    me
    GO ZIPS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can only be a Zip if you're able to explain to people what a Zip even is?? I've heard "It's half kangaroo, half...Zip"...you can't define the word with the actual word.
    Anyways...I'm off track.
    College is supposed to be fun - it's still hard work and sometimes crappy (tests and drunkards next door and what not), but for the most part it's supposed to be this amazing time in your life where you figure out who you are and what you want to be. It really is a big "hurrah" before you enter the real world and all the responsibilities that come with it. In college, you're still able to rely on your family, but you're also responsible for yourself in a way that you never really have been before. Luckily, you have awesome parents and a great sister that obviously love you and want the best for you, no matter what you decide. And having a dog at home also rocks, if you decide to go that route.
    I know it's totally scary to be in a place where you feel like you don't have any friends (these OSU people obviously don't know how cool you are - their loss!). And it sounds like your high school friends would be thrilled to have you back. Whatever you decide to do, I know you will be fine and figure out what's best for you and your future. You're a smart, really nice kid (sorry, you're under 25, that's a "kid" to me!) and you deserve to be happy!

    PS - don't rule out those Longhorns... no snow shoveling in Austin ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi John,

    Even if you do decide to leave Ohio State I'm wondering if you can't get involved in something to help you through the next few weeks. Would it be possible for you to volunteer at the hospital near you a couple evenings a week? You can certainly empathize with what a lot of people are going through. I'm not sure what is available for volunteering but I know when Ryan's friend, Ryan, was in the hospital for long stays that there were a lot of volunteers, even people to play video games with the young patients or board or card games or other things to occupy their time in the hospital. If the hospital isn't your idea of a good time, there are a lot of other places to volunteer a little time and meet some great people.

    There are probably a million clubs and groups that meet at OSU, like computer clubs, chess clubs or whatever your other interests are or maybe even Catholic groups. I know Ohio State has a chapter of the Cardinal Newman Society and other Catholic youth organizations and OSU pro-life groups that I found on-line. You might meet a lot of people hanging out at the library (lol). There are a few kids looking for things to do other than drink the night away (at least a couple!)- you just have to find them! There are probably cheap movie nights somewhere on campus - Kelly and Kristen have them at BG.

    Love and prayers,
    Aunt Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just have to reply...Your Farrell relatives are really selling BGSU. HA!! Do they forget my memories of BGSU?(Graduation 1979..Maybe Kristen can get me into the Sorority at her graduation!)..Alright...what discount do they get for recruiting?...again..HAHA!
    Also...have to tell Aunt Cindy that OSU actually has a bar called "The Library". That is so the kids can tell there parents they spend a lot of time at "the library" and all is good. HA!(okay, too much HA!)
    Poor Ryan...why can't his parents embrace OU?
    No HA! How about a HEHE!
    Anyway, loving the comments today...and thinking back to the good ole days at Akron U.
    GO ZIPS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how everyone keeps throwing out different schools for you to go to john lol im amused

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Johnny,

    Did your mom ever tell you that I was born in Michigan? I was....therefore I am totally, 100% behind your decision to leave OSU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. if u transfer, uncle mikey will have to write u another poem u no? To quote mom, 'HA!' and dino will look good in a blue or gold bandana too so dont worry about that!
    Even though it means giving up my private bathroom and my roomy office (blurg), im pumped to have my big bro back!
    ~Shellers~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Although it seems that the majority of college students are there to learn the "social" side of life - there are other students who are just as inclined to stay in on those weekends and not drink excessive amounts of alcohol and party all the time. I believe if you try hard enough, you will find a group of good people who are willing to accept you the way you are - who aren't trying to mold you into something you aren't made to be.
    Transferring schools is a very difficult decision - and it is important to consider all the good times that have resulted from your college experience, not just to focus on the disappointing ones. You cannot hold everything to your expectations - life is too unpredictable. However, you must consider what college will be the best "fit" for you - and I'm not talking about "opportunities for your future," I mean a personal fit. Personal growth will be nurtured in the best environment - and thus, it is important to find the best fit of a college - a place where you can enjoy and be comfortable for a few years.

    Good luck and godspeed, my friend.

    ReplyDelete