Monday, March 23, 2009

Winter Quarter's Top 5

My apologies for the delay in a blog post. I have been home since Wednesday night. Most of my time has been spent watching the NCAA basketball tourney, with a little fantasy baseball drafting mixed in. I think the lack of needing a blog-post stems from being home. With the fam around, I have found I am able to vent throughout the day and removes the bottling effect that I get while I am at school. Spring break is going as well as I could have hoped. I haven't even had a kidney stone since exams ended. That of course means that I was, indeed, passing a stone during my exams. While most students were considering test-taking strategies and how to cram ten-weeks of knowledge into their minds for a two-hour test, I was considering when to take a percocet so that it would take away the pain for the test but would wear off enough for me to focus and not be "high as a kite." It was a little difficult ...

But I did receive my grades for winter quarter: two Bs and an A. Not too shabby considering the personal turmoil endured. Let's see ... I passed seven kidney stones. I lost my grandfather, my first grandparent to pass away. I battled persistent loneliness. I started a blog. I feel I was scapegoated for writing truth-facts. I ran into a few friends from high school on campus... two friends who go to Dayton... who are two of my best friends... who came to Columbus to see other close friends of mine... who didn't bother to tell me they were coming and didn't plan on me ever finding out about their visit... I decided to become an R.A. next year. I was eliminated from the pool of potential R.A. candidates. And I made the decision to transfer to the University of Akron.

Upon reflection of the events of the past quarter, I have learned a few things about myself. Here is a list of the Top 5 things I learned about myself:

5) I am bitter. I do not like it when others get something and I do not through no extra effort. These things are usually SGS-related. For instance: getting to party three times a week, getting to eat a slice of pizza and not double over in pain or need to run to the bathroom, not passing kidney stones...

4) I am jealous. See 5.

3) I like baseball. I always knew this. Baseball is one thing that has always made me happy. This year more than ever, though, spring training brought hope. This winter was, as I've said before, not the greatest. The return of baseball brought the return of a fan's hope for a World Series Championship Flag being raised above Jacobs' Field (Jacobs' Field, not Progressive Field). This was also helped by the Farrell-clan's shared season ticket package and the promise of getting to see at least ten games at the park for the first time since we gave up our own season tickets.

2) I am independent. I went to see Watchmen alone. It was pretty unenjoyable, but I did it. Some would say, "you're a better person for going through that." That comment is, of course, false. But I did it. And every night I walked a few blocks and got dinner, alone. And every morning I ate breakfast, and every afternoon I ate lunch, and every evening I ate fourthmeal, each one alone.

1) I am awesome.

-Intestineless Wonder

7 comments:

  1. We think you are pretty awesome too. See what a few days home does to your confidence? Now we just have to work on the "bitter" and "jealous" parts. Remember to count those blessings....everyday....Remember, partying has consequences. See if you are jealous when the partiers are hung over. Pizza has consequences too....check out the pizza (and beer) guts. Maybe that should be PBG. HA!
    Anyway, the Indians will be awesome...mostly because we will be in attendance...thank you Uncle Bill...and I miss Grandpa too!
    Your goal next quarter is to not eat alone so much...and maybe more A's. :)
    Love you,
    me

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,
    You are sitting 10 feet away from me right now...that is pretty cool. I've enjoyed you being home son and look forward to a pretty big weekend filled with more March Madness!
    I emphatically and categorically agree with #1...you ARE awesome!
    Love ya!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,
    You are growing up faster than the majority of kids your age. That will account for something later on in life, trust me. Just try not to have a huge smug look on your face when it happens!! Hang in there, you are doing great! and yes, you are VERY awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post IW! I'm now 3 years into my recovery, and food is getting better. The first year and a half were horrible. Lots of vomiting and not enjoying food and eating very little. I really didn’t have too much hope. But I can say that since then, my health has improved, I’ve been infection free and my food tolerance has gotten better. I was all the way down to 92 lbs. I’m now a healthy 105!

    Keep it up! I can say that probably over time your new system will get better too. Even enough for Pizza. Have you tried ZPizza?
    ZPizza
    945 N. High Street
    Columbus OH, 43201
    614.299.3289

    It makes me so happy to know you are home surrounded by your loved ones. Remember that going out partying and having fun socializing and cutting loose doesn’t have to include alcohol. It just makes it easier to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey John...I just wanted to respond to Renee's comment if you will let me.
    Renee...congratulations on fighting the good fight for three years. It means so much to John and his family that you follow his blog and take the time to comment. You always sound so positive. Please know you have a new group of people cheering and praying for you.
    Thank you for being an inspiration and friend to my boy.
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey John!
    u definitly are AWE- wait for it- SOME!
    haha air five! SWEET!!!
    miss u already!
    ~Shellers~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Megan! Wow how awesome to know you are a family of believers, and that you pray. When I’m down having a bad day I can always remember where I’ve been and what I’ve already endured… Then seeing how far I’ve come. Whatever I’m going through seems very temporary compared to the weeks in the hospital recovering, where every hour passes by minute after minute, second after second… It seems like it can go on forever. Plus we all can remember John’s Article for the paper, anytime I’m feeling sorry for myself, “Why me?” Just do the medical center walk through. Every time I go to my appointment at UCLA I see dozens of people with lives more difficult than mine. The first few times I went there I’d start crying after seeing a few kids hooked-up to their pumps. I guess the idea that this poor little child will never know a “normal” live was more then I could take. “Why me?” Why any of these precious little babies… So then that seems like a stupid question, no one deserves what we’ve gone through. I’m not always so positive. My husband gets to hear about my crappy day all the time. That is why I’m so happy John is home and has someone to vent to. Holding it in, and dealing with it all at school had to be pretty tough. He is 1 awesome person! And I know things will get better!!

    ReplyDelete