Friday, February 6, 2009

Late-Night Frasier on Fox

Late night TV watching routine: ESPN until 1130ish, Letterman, then Frasier reruns on Fox. Frasier went to an English bar with Daphne because he was feeling a little bit down. He had a few drinks, and they all began singing, "Roll out the barrell, roll out a barrell of fun ..." And this got me thinking ... I've heard someone sing that song before. I believe he was heavy set, really weird looking (like if you passed him on the street you would be careful not to stare but also not to look away, and then you'd exhale as soon as you were a few paces past him), and I imagine my Dad being real upset everytime he started singing. Haha, if you guessed the beer man in the mid- to late-90s in section 178 at Jacobs' Field who would begin singing while the game was being played, then you are 100% correct. Section 178, Row T if I'm not mistaken, seats 1 and 2 right on the aisle (seats 19 and 20?). Best seats in the house... That got me thinking even more: shared season tickets to Tribe games this season. I can't wait. Four seats in centerfield; it's going to be glorious. The fun really begins in six days and twelve hours, which is when pitchers, catchers, and injured players report to Spring Training. Someday I'll make it to Spring Training. With any luck it will be with the Indians' scouting department or perhaps assistant GM, analyzing which players will perform best throughout the season. Assistant GM ... that would look good underneath "John Hudson" on the nameplate outside of an office on Ontario Street. I e-mailed a few of my contacts with Tribe to attempt to land an internship for the upcoming summer ... apparently I was three months late with my attempt. The HR lady told me I should apply for one of the jobs posted online, such as vendor, usher, or janitor. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but perhaps a job in the teamshop or something similar would not be the worst thing in the world. I guess I at least have my foot in the door, since a few of the people I e-mailed remembered me, told me to stay in touch, and told me to definitely apply for an internship for next season. That would be real awesome ... it will have to wait though, as will my dream of a "John Hudson: Assistant General Manager, Cleveland Indians" nameplate. Peace. -IW

2 comments:

  1. That is so funny...the beer guy use to drive Dad nuts...I can't wait for the games this year too. It will be alot of fun...Looking forward to seeing you tonight...hey...what is with the ASSISTANT talk...if your dreaming, go for GM.
    Love you,
    me

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, as I seem to recally, before you were born your dad was the guy singing "Roll Out The Barrells" and, yes, we all used to hold our breath a lot when he would pass by.

    ReplyDelete