Sunday, February 8, 2009

Manny Being Manny

Manny Ramirez, arguably one of the greatest hitters of all time, is unemployed. He helped the Tribe to two World Series appearances, and then left for more money in Boston. There, he won two World Series titles and one World Series MVP award, if I'm not mistaken. Then, he decided he didn't want to play in Boston anymore so he stopped trying until they traded him to the Dodgers, who he then helped reach the playoffs in yet another MVP-caliber offensive season. Now, he's a free agent. A few months ago the Dodgers offered him two years and $45 million to play for them. He, and his agent Scott Boras, turned it down saying he wanted five years and $125 million. Months later, without a single offer from another team, the Dodgers come back with a one-year deal worth $25 million. Manny said, "No." There is nobody else in the league with any money to even come close to making an offer to Manny, and he says he wants to play at least 6 more years to get to 3,000 hits and perhaps 700 home runs. Yet, he won't play for $25 million. If he plays in all but 12 games this season he would make $1 million every six games. Averaging a little more than four plate appearances per game, he would make $40,000 every time he picked up a bat and walked to the plate regardless of whether he strikes out or hits a home run. $25 million is not enough for him to play baseball in southern California for just one year. One year, then he can re-evaluate or try to get a long-term deal elsewhere or whatever. But no, it is not enough. So here it is: Dear Mr. Ramirez, I have been a fan of yours my entire life. You came up with the Indians when my family and I had season tickets and the Indians were a playoff team every season in brand-new Jacobs' Field. You left for Boston, and guess what? I bought a Red Sox hat and cheered as you all came back from the 3-0 deficit to beat the Yankees and went on to sweep St. Louis in the World Series. Your second World championship, I did not cheer, because this time you all came back form a 3-1 deficit against my beloved Indians, and then swept Colorado. So you have two rings, and you stopped trying in order to force Beantown to trade you, which they did, to Los Angeles. And you had a remarkable season for the Dodgers. You and Joe Torre managed to push them into the playoffs. The Dodgers are only going to be a better team this year and, with you and the lackluster N.L.-West opposition, would be all but guaranteed a playoff spot. And they offer $25 million, a fortune, especially in this economy. But you turned it down. My request is this Mr. Ramirez: write me a check for $1 million and let me pay for my college tuition, medical bills, and any other costs I may incur until I graduate and get a well-paying job (hopefully with a professional baseball team, so any connections would be appreciated). You could make $1 million in six games as I said earlier. And since you turned down $25 million, you are not struggling to pay the bills. Mr. Ramirez, you are a great player and one of my favorites. $1 million would make you very generous and really, really awesome, to go along with your unbelievable, Hall-of-Fame caliber talent. Having that small fortune would be a glorious gift for me to have. In any case, I wish you luck in all that you attempt to accomplish this season and next, and I hope I get to see you play in Jacobs' Field again one day, even if it's in the opposing dug-out. Send me an e-mail, Mr. Ramirez, and I will let you know where to send the check. I look forward to receiving your check and having all financial worries removed from my sub-conscience. Sincerely Yours, John Hudson, jhud1608@yahoo.com The Intestineless Wonder

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kid,
    I sure hope Manny is sitting around reading you blog and feeling generous. It was great having you home for the weekend. I hope it took off some of the pressure. You really looked good.
    Have a good week and remember.....FIBER!!!
    Love,
    me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it a lot! Manny is crazy enough to send you a check!

    ReplyDelete