Friday, February 13, 2009

Life-long Search Going Unfulfilled

February 12, 2009: the first day of Spring Training 2009. With split season tickets for this season, I am excited. The Tribe's spring training venue has shifted after 14 seasons in Winter Haven, Florida to Goodyear Park, in Arizona. Goodyear: better yield a good year, indeed. Knowing that I have a ticket to at least a few games causes me to wonder: do I have adequate gear? This is an interesting question. Although baseball is a warm-weather sport known for being played under blue skies and a shining sun, most games go late into the night, when the temperature tends to dip into the cooler temperatures of the summer. Let's make a check-list for necessary gear. 1) Headwear: I have a Cooperstown Collection 1975 Cleveland Indians Fitted Cap. Blue hat, red bill, red crooked "C" on the front. Check. 2) Footwear: Brand new, blue Saucony running shoes will suffice. Check. 3) Bottomwear: Jeans will suffice on most nights, with the occasional khaki shorts thrown in. Check. 4) Topwear: This is where it gets tricky. I have a white t-shirt that proudly asks, "Are you in the Tribe?" I don't know what that means. I have a gray t-shirt that says, "Cleveland Indians" on the front, with Chief Wahoo on the back. But t-shirts aren't going to cut it for a part-time season-ticket holder. This brings me to the point of this post. As long as I can remember my favorite player has been Omar Vizquel, the great Indians shortstop preceding Jhonny Peralta. For just as long, I have wanted an Omar Vizquel jersey. Surprisingly, these jerseys are few and far between. While seemingly everyone on the planet has an NFL, NBA, or College football jersey, rarely are MLB jerseys seen, in public or in stores. I saw a Vizquel jersey in my size at an acceptable price only once at a Finish Line store at Chapel Hill Mall, but it was a youth medium, and I was about to cross over into a youth large, so I passed it up. Even with sites such as eBay, Vizquel jerseys are unfindable. Unless I want to buy a personalized jersey and put Vizquel and 13 on the back. Expensive. I will continue to scour the lands for the glorious jersey I am looking for, and would appreciate devoted Wonder Readers, Wondeaders, if you will, to do the same. Let me know if any finds are found. For now though, go Tribe. Wonder out.

6 comments:

  1. Hey, Are you trying to challenge me? I didn't know an Omar jersey was so important to you...Anyway, I'm on it...
    Glad to hear you have been feeling better this week.
    We miss you,
    love,
    me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok....I'm going to give this another shot. I have written before but for some reason can not get it posted!!

    I love reading your posts. You are absolutely hysterical and definitely have a gift of writing. You should SERIOUSLY consider going into journalism. But I can picture you going the GM route also.

    Mrs. Carden said she saw you at church and you looked great. I was so glad to hear that. Justin also told me you offered to sell him a futon. He had no idea what a futon was. Poor thing.

    Well, I just wanted to remind you that even though you don't hear from us all the time, we are constantly thinking of you and as always you are in our prayers.

    Have a great weekend!
    Love,
    Mrs. Kamlowsky (you can start calling me Shelley though--I think it's a midlife crisis thing I'm going through and I don't like being called Mrs. Kamlowsky anymore. )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi- I'm a 34 year old woman who lost her small bowel 3 years ago. I have 8 inches remining. I'm on TPN everyday. Lipids 3x per week. I too have had the ups and downs of recovery. I've found that the best foods for me to eat are meats and starches followed by vegetables. The worst food that cause the most problems are greasy, fried, anything that causes gas, too much sugar, or too much liquid.
    If I want something that causes problems, I try to eat it with some of the other better foods to dilute any of the negative side effects. Sometimes this seems to work, others I'm sorry I did it! If you would like to talk or ask questions my email is reneehawks@cox.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. What kind of parent let's their son grow up without ever buying an Omar jersey? He has been your favorite player for forever! Maybe when Manny reads your post he will tell Omar to send you a jersey...the downside will be that Manny will stop payment on the $1m check he is going to send you...oh well. I'm sur ethe Omar jersey will be worth it.
    Love ya, Dad

    ReplyDelete